Charlie White: freaky good

OK, so I was goofing off a bit today, and taking a break from my daily drudgery, when I got an email from a friend of mine. She forwarded me a few links which she wanted me to check out, for an artist and photographer named Charlie White. He's been on the scene for a while, but I hadn't heard of him until today.

Boy oh boy, is this guy somethin'. His gig is setting up secenarios which incorporate real people, puppets, sets and special effects, so his photos have the feel of a still shot from a film. But the common link seems to be weirdness. He has created some fairly odd and disturbing stuff, and I'm not sure what the hell is going on in some of it, but I really like it (not sure what that says about me, exactly, but you can be the judge of that).

Here are a few of the works I found to be most interesting. If you're keen to find out more about him or his art, you can check out his website here.

The Persuaders (2003)



Jonestown (2006)




Cocktail Party (2001 - from the series Understanding Joshua, which is definitely worth checking out in further detail here)



Bizarro, no? But so cool, too. Although that opinion is coming from someone who thinks the same thing about David Lynch and David Cronenberg films, so take that for what it's worth. :) And speaking of films, Charlie White has also directed a couple of short ones.

One is the video for the Interpol song Evil - which is an effing good tune anyway -and it features a really eerie lookin' puppet dude who has survived a horrific car crash:



You can use this link to check out the full video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_OcR0fbf6g

Also, White created one in a series of viral promotional videos for Adidas, and his was called Pink.



I love this piece...it gets stuck in your head, for real, and it manages to make a pink stuffed bear seem reeeally creepy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKcrCkbcDQ

As the mom of a young girl, I really feel this one and I have my own theory about what White is trying to say in this, but I'm probably wrong. If you wanna add your two cents, feel free. :)

'Kay, now that I'm done creeping y'all out for the day, I need to go back to work. No time for art when there's floors to mop, am I right? Have a good one, peeps...
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment