Music That Doesn't Suck (Part 2)

Happy New Year, peeps!

Well, this will be a happy year, at least as far as music is concerned. As y'all already know, I am looking forward to a new release from Elbow (and their show in Manchester - tee hee!), and there are a few other artists with releases in the near future that should be pretty tasty. I thought I'd do a little roundup of some of the stuff I'm psyched about; enjoy!

Elbow - Lippy Kids
Obviously, I have big, big love for this one. It's a great preview of what to expect on the new album (out in March in the UK, with a US release date to be announced soon, I hope). Lyrics are tremendous, as is the voice of frontman Guy Garvey, but the music on this is understated in the most magical way. The song treads really lightly, but it leaves the most beautiful footprints behind it.




R.E.M. - It Happened Today
I am always optimistic about new R.E.M. music. What I've heard so far from the new album, Collapse Into Now, sounds fairly decent, but I'll have to hear the whole thing as a piece to get a real feel for where they are now as a band.




Cake - Sick of You
Yeah, baby, Cake's back and they brought the cowbell! Shweeeet!



Iron & Wine - Walking Far From Home
OK, this one really threw me. I love me some Iron and Wine, but the first time I heard this tune, I was very "WTF?!?" about it. Doesn't much sound like the Sam Beam I'm accustomed to. However, different can be good, and this is proof. Let it play all the way through. Listen to those lyrics. Wait for it. You'll get it.




The Go! Team - Buy Nothing Day
I always get a solid kick out of the songs of The Go! Team. This track, from new LP Rolling Blackouts, is no exception. I know it's only January, but this shizz sounds like summer.



J Mascis - Not Enough
The man from Dinosaur Jr. is ready to grace us with a solo release, Several Shades of Why, this coming March. This is a lovely little taster from that LP, which is acoustic instead of his more customary electric awesomeness, but it's still quite awesome.



The Radio Dept. - Where Damage Isn't Already Done
One of the best bands you've never heard of. They're from Sweden, they've been around a while, and they are about to drop a collection of their previously released tunes spanning 2002-2010. Consider this an excellent way to play catch-up with them, if you're so inclined. The new double-disc release will be called Passive Aggressive (great title, no?) and this is one of the tracks you'll find on that set.



The Cave Singers - Gifts and the Raft
Aaaand, this last one brings us full circle, right back to Elbow agaian. Why? Because I first heard the music of The Cave Singers on Guy Garvey's radio program (Guy Garvey's Finest Hour, which is always full of amazing tunes. Check it out here, if you haven't heard it before). This is a track from their upcoming LP, entitled No Witch, and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with Christine O'Donnell.



Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment